Wigging out with Stephen Malkmus - Page 2

Post-Pavement reunion and adventures abroad, the indie icon talks Beyoncé, Portland fishbowl syndrome, and embracing his classic-rock upbringing

Stephen Malkmus
PHOTO BY LEAH NASH

"I was thinking about somewhere like [924] Gilman, full of people skanking, but with old people, because it's just funny to see senior citizens doing anything that youthful," says Malkmus of the track. "But it's also bit of commentary about how, if you go so far as to really be into a subculture of music, whatever it is, heavy metal, or punk, or reggae, you always have a home there, and that's nice. It doesn't matter if you're depressed, or way overweight, or you've been divorced five times; you can go to the show and feel safe and see your people and get lost in the music."

If he's at his best as a songwriter when he takes on the point of view of other characters — I fell hard for this tendency with his first post-Pavement album, a Jicks record on which he sings story-songs from the perspectives of, among others, a bloodthirsty pirate, an Alaskan dog sled driver, and Yul Brynner — then part of what makes Wig Out such an enjoyable in-joke is the sense that Malkmus is writing songs while "in character as" an aging rock star who's looking back on his career with a mix of sentimentality and cynicism, fondness and detachment, á la Don Henley circa The End of the Innocence.

"That [Pavement reunion] tour was kind of like reliving an old play, or something," says Malkmus of the cross-country jaunt his old band took in 2010, to the fever-pitch-level delight of virtually everyone who came of age listening to indie rock in the '90s. "It was fun being back with the same dudes, and there were some really cool shows — especially playing hometown shows in Berkeley, Stockton, meeting people my age who were road-tripping to see Pavement twice."

The songs don't quite feel like him anymore, he says, though The Jicks are known to play a handful of Pavement songs during some sets — toward the end, when they're playing other covers. "We mix them in like they're part of some canon, which is a little cheeky," he says. "You know, play a Steve Miller song, some Roxy Music, Pavement, then Wire. And yeah, it's my song, I wrote it, but it's mostly just feels like we're playing a song."

After that reunion tour, something started to feel a little claustrophobic upon returning to Portland. "There was a neurotic, kind of fishbowl feeling," is how he puts it. So in 2011, the family picked up and moved to Berlin for two years, ("a big giant place where no one cares about you too much"), put the girls in an international school, and reveled in the apparently productive anonymity — Malkmus proceeded to write most of Wig Out there.

The family moved back to Portland in 2013, but the expat's sense of liberation comes through in free-wheeling tracks like the Billy Joel-ish, Steely Dan-esque rocker "Chartjunk," complete with horns, shout-along choruses, and a buttery guitar riff, over which Malkmus channels the singing style of the sun-bleached, coked-out '70s guitar gods he grew up with. "In one ear and out of the other, if you feel the urge to share/think again cause you're not my mother, actually I'm not contractually obliged to care," he cautions, happily, but also sounding like he means it. (Acknowledging its Joel-like sonic landscape, Malkmus recently told a Detroit publication that the track, in which he plays both roles of a mentor/mentee dispute, was inspired by the relationship between Detroit Pistons point guard Brandon Jennings and his coach Scott Skiles, back when Jennings played for the Milwaukee Bucks. Dude's serious about basketball.)

Comments

There are no words to describe how bodacious this is.

Posted by dissertation writing on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

I went to tons of links before this, what was I thinking?

Posted by doessayonline.com on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

So that's the case? Quite a revelation that is.

Posted by who can�do my essay on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 11:35 pm

That's an apt answer to an interesting question

Posted by do my essay�for me on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 5:02 am

Keep these articles coming as they've opened many new doors for me.

Posted by website on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 6:31 am

Wow, this is in every respect what I needed to know.

Posted by essay writer on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 10:48 am

Glad I've finally found something I agree with!

Posted by car insurance quote on May. 13, 2014 @ 8:02 am

This post has helped me think things through

Posted by famous life insurance sayings on May. 25, 2014 @ 11:48 am

That's really thinking at a high level

Posted by insurance rates for small business on May. 29, 2014 @ 9:03 am

It's great to find someone so on the ball

Posted by cheap insurance on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

No question this is the place to get this info, thanks y'all.

Posted by insurance car on Jul. 15, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

So true. Honesty and everything recognized.

Posted by cheap car insurance on Jul. 18, 2014 @ 9:10 pm

It's great to find someone so on the ball

Posted by reproductive organs on Jul. 24, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

Hahahaha. I'm not too bright today. Great post!

Posted by product recognition on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 9:45 am

That's really thinking of the highest order

Posted by manly features on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

This post has helped me think things through

Posted by answers on Jul. 28, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Whoa, things just got a whole lot easier.

Posted by over thousands on Jul. 30, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

None can doubt the veracity of this article.

Posted by chemical ingredients on Jul. 31, 2014 @ 9:37 am

Many many quality points there.

Posted by healthy ratio on Jul. 31, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

That insight solves the problem. Thanks!

Posted by cipla limited on Aug. 01, 2014 @ 10:56 am

Son of a gun, this is so helpful!

Posted by low-grade chronic on Aug. 01, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

What a neat article. I had no inkling.

Posted by edition on Aug. 03, 2014 @ 3:37 pm

My name is Sarah. i want to use this opportunity to thank my great doctor Areghan who really made my life a pleasurable one today. This great Doctor Areghan brought my husband back to me, i had 3 lovely kids for my husband, about 3 years ago i and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me for one lady. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, until one day i met a good friend of mine that was also in a situation like me but her problem was her ex-boyfriend who she had an unwanted pregnancy for and he refused to take responsibility and dumped her. she told me that mine was a small case and that i shouldn't worry about it at all so i asked her what was the solution to my problems and she gave me this great man phone number and his email address. i was doubting if this man was the solution, so i contacted this great man and he told me what to do and i did them all, he told me to wait for just two days and that my husband will come crawling on his kneels just for forgiveness so i faithfully did what this great man asked me to do and for sure after two days i heard a knock on the door, in a great surprise i saw him on his kneels and i was speechless, when he saw me, all he did was crying and asking me for forgiveness, from that day, all the pains and sorrows in my heart flew away,since then i and my husband and our lovely kids are happy. that why i want to say a big thank you to Dr. Areghan. This great man made me to understand that there's no problem on earth that has no solution so please if you know that you have this same problem or any problem that is similar, i will advise you to come straight to this great man. you can email him: realspellcaster112@gmail.com

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2014 @ 4:31 pm

This is a neat summary. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by particular ingredient on Aug. 04, 2014 @ 11:10 am

Hey, that's a clever way of thinking about it.

Posted by smoker who on Aug. 04, 2014 @ 11:46 am

Hey, killer job on that one you guys!

Posted by hopeless frame on Aug. 07, 2014 @ 10:19 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.