Tablehopping: Release the sandwiches! And salads! And whoa, an all-you-can-eat Mexican breakfast.
YOU GOTTA EAT THIS
The traditional egg hopper. Well of course the Tablehopper was going to need to try this menu item at the recently opened 1601 Bar & Kitchen (1601 Howard, SF. www.1601sf.com). And let me tell you, we are damn lucky to have access to this Sri Lankan street food favorite, made with a high-end twist, in an urban restaurant in SoMa. The hopper ($9) is a crepe-like, lacy bowl made from lightly fermented rice flour and coconut milk (it has the slightest tang). Within the edible basket is a stunning, soft-cooked Jidori egg — the creamy yolk a deep orange, begging you to cut into it. (But only after you top it with the variety of flavorful sambols that come on the side; you can decide how spicy you want it.) While the hopper would traditionally be folded like a taco and eaten out of hand, here it's a fork-and-knife affair, although we're sure chef Brian Fernando would smile to see someone just pick this little baby up.
Most Commented On
- Spanky new SUV - December 8, 2013
- She never had a spanky new - December 8, 2013
- i am so greatful to dr samba - December 8, 2013
- Butt ugly fool full of old - December 8, 2013
- Adding to my earlier post: I - December 8, 2013
- Suspending Judgement - December 8, 2013
- Also regarding The Hallowed, - December 8, 2013
- The devout worshipers of The - December 7, 2013
- Well said. I'm sure the - December 7, 2013
- "There will also be food, - December 7, 2013